Winnipeg Pinball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rally X Cocktail Restore!

5 posters

Go down

Rally X Cocktail Restore! Empty Rally X Cocktail Restore!

Post by ericg Wed May 18, 2016 8:20 pm

So recently I picked up a Rally X Cocktail cabinet in a trade from my good friend Brennan (Grevier2 on the forums). It was converted to The NewZealand Story. At first I didn't know what it was originally only that it looked alot like a midway cab like pacman, but the monitor was mounted horizontally. That should've been the moment I realized haha. When I got it I looked inside and theres a paper that says "RALLY X COCKTAIL" so thats when I realized.. Sure enough I go search it up online and the cab is the same!

Rally X Cocktail Restore! 11a8a63dd3
Rally X Cocktail Restore! 29170510

So that made me want to restore this cab back to its former glory..

Heres some more pics of the cab

Rally X Cocktail Restore! 862203c461
Rally X Cocktail Restore! 7317573149
Rally X Cocktail Restore! D164bace07
Rally X Cocktail Restore! 7636eca593

There were metal plates riveted to the control panels to cover old holes for the conversion. Underneath I could see some Rally X green peeking from the side of the hole.

Rally X Cocktail Restore! 5b76f1d3df

That sparked my interest and i took the rivets off and look what was under!

Rally X Cocktail Restore! 4212e86d20

So cool to find it underneath! It's ruined obviously but I did take pics in order to recreate the CP Overlay on photoshop which I'll show later.

Next I noticed the coin door was really rusty and I wanted to get that over with cus I figured it should be an easy job.

I stripped it and sanded it and painted with some spraypaint and this is the result.

Before:
Rally X Cocktail Restore! F779f63f64

After:
Rally X Cocktail Restore! 37a32d7d20

What a difference it made! I also got around to mounting a computer CRT monitor into it.
It's a 17 inch but it fits well. I mounted it non-destructively, its just resting on a shelf I put in thats sitting on 2x4 legs.
I know it's not original but it's hard to source 19" arcade monitors here and also I had it laying around and I wanna kinda be on a budget for this restore.

Rally X Cocktail Restore! 69f8f23f82

There were no copies of the CPO online to download so I had to recreate the control panel overlay in photoshop to get printed.

http://puu.sh/oX3iR/adc01ad01a.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do with this restore. I was thinking of getting the Rally X underlay for the glass and the control panel overlays and stick a MAME PC with horizontal cocktail games inside and keep the computer CRT. so itll be an original Rally X cosmetically but inside it won't, which I don't really mind... Or I was thinking of a JAMMA setup. I'm not sure yet.
I'll still be working on my Arkanoid I just haven't had time for it.

Thanks for viewing!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Rally X Cocktail Restore! Empty Re: Rally X Cocktail Restore!

Post by Malibu-ss Thu May 19, 2016 6:31 am

wow cool,fun game
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinb2001 Thu May 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Nothing wrong with using the computer monitor, especially since that cab is gutted. I would encourage you to try and source an original arcade monitor though, they always look better in the end and it helps the value if you ever decide to sell/trade.

It can be hard to source locally but if you put up a want ad on kijiji and craigslist (north dakota and mn) there are people willing to sell them at a fairly reasonable price. You might also want to try posting a want ad on the klov/arcade museum forums (again mention for pickup in north dakota or mn). I've had to drive down to the US to pickup monitors and boards before and I've found 19" to still be pretty easy to come by, I've usually lucked out with a 3 hour drive or less south of the border, even with our dollar suffering it's still totally worth it imo.

Either way good luck with the restore, looks like it's got a lot of potential.
kevinb2001
kevinb2001

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Thu May 19, 2016 12:56 pm

yeah I am looking into getting an arcade monitor, I'm just gonna leave the computer monitor in for the time being and if I get the opportunity to snag one I will. Driving down to the states for one is a no go for me though so that does limit me. But theres no rush to get one, I'll take it slow and see what happens. Thanks for the info though!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinb2001 Thu May 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Yeah if you can't cross the border it's a bit harder, but they do come up in Winnipeg sometimes. I picked up a G07 locally last week from kijiji, I probably overpaid for a monitor that I'll have to rebuild but such is the price of convenience and I like those monitors. I'm going to Minne in June, I'll let you know if I find an extra 19" in my travels.
kevinb2001
kevinb2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie Thu May 19, 2016 1:42 pm

I dig it !
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinb2001 Thu May 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Rally X Cocktail Restore! Tumblr_mfxettg6X61rkzn2ao1_400
kevinb2001
kevinb2001

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Thu May 19, 2016 8:30 pm

Alright that sounds great Kevin thanks!!

and thanks freezie!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinb2001 Wed May 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Not sure if you're able to travel within Canada but Regina really isn't that far and $20.00 is super cheap:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-games-consoles-other/regina/2-old-arcade-monitors/1166399404?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

kevinb2001
kevinb2001

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 pm

Sadly thats not an option. Thats a hell of a deal though!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Dude looking good! Glad that cab could find a good home!
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down