Winnipeg Pinball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TZ Project

+4
KeatonX
Malibu-ss
Freezie
prock
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TZ Project Empty TZ Project

Post by prock Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 am

After finally getting this thing in my basement I haven't been able to turn it on because of a fried transformer.  The primary windings are shorted out.  Not a huge deal though as I've got one incoming Very Happy  I've already pulled the driver and cpu boards and will be testing in my WH2O.

I've been looking it over and still haven't really come up with a good strategy for tearing it down so I took a bunch of pictures and started pulling things out.  Here are a few pictures I took today (gumball machine and clock have been removed and the lockdown mech has been removed for sandblasting):

TZ Project Img_1611
TZ Project Img_1612

Unfortunately the side is pretty scratched up but I'm considering re-decaling it anyway.

After inspecting the clock I'm hopeful that it will work without many issues.  There looks to be some solder joints that I need to re-do and a little bit of heat damage.  With luck all the optos will work.

TZ Project Img_1525
TZ Project Img_1526

I'll post some more pictures of the playfield once I tear it down a bit more.  Overall it's in pretty good shape but I'm really debating touching it up in a few spots and clearing it.  The second playfield is starting to show signs of planking however I may be able to save it by touching it up and clearing it but I think I'm just going to buy a different one.  That's all I got for now.  I'll keep you updated with my restore process!

Last edited by prock on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

TZ Project Empty Re: TZ Project

Post by Freezie Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Love it !
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:33 am

IT'S ALIVE! Last night Bay78 was over and he helped me get it booted up for the first time. Only major issue is the HV section on the display board needs to be re-built. No big deal as we borrowed the one from WH2O. Mostly everything (including the clock) is mostly functional after a few tweaks. There are still some bugs in the system but I don't think it will take me much time to get it going 100%. I'll post some pictures later!
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Malibu-ss Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 am

congrats!
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KeatonX Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:05 am

Good stuff!
KeatonX
KeatonX

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:19 am

Game is now 99% playable.  Quite a few switches needed adjusting but thats about it.  Only problems at the moment is the eddy sensor in the ball trough is a bit flaky but I'm sure I'll get it with some adjustments. Also after re-assembling the clock I didn't align it properly so that needs fixing.  There may be an issue with one of the clock optos but if might just be because of the miss-alignment.  Oh and the DMD is missing the far right vertical line which was bad news Sad.  Now it's just waiting for all flippers to be re-built along with a shop out!
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:00 am

Here is a picture of the game right after we swapped in the display board from WH2O.

TZ Project Img_1610

I took a short video of it in action.  I discovered I'm not very good with one hand.  This is one amazing game!  Tonight I changed the switch next to the slot machine along with a lot of bulbs.  I've got some parts coming and soon will have a riveting machine put together so I can assemble the new plastics and re-face some of the switches.  For now I'm playing it! Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to complete all the flipper re-builds.

prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:54 am

Not a whole lot to report but I thought I'd post an update anyway...

I recently had an issue with the opto board.  None of my optos were working and I was getting the message "check fuses F115 and F116, J112 and opto 12v supply" on the DMD.  Turns out I blew out the ICs (LM339s) on the opto board.  It took some work to figure out exactly what was wrong.  Pretty much all documentation says it's gotta be your +12V on your driver board or your MPU, the opto board is generally suspected last.  Total cost of the repair was ~$3, gotta love that Very Happy

I've finished re-building all flippers.  The top left flipper has a strong coil installed so I'll replace the coil when I get my order from Marco.  Once I get the order I'll have all parts to do my top side shop out.  The game is playing so nicely now I hardly want to rip it apart!

In other news my rivet dies are in, just have to pick them up!  I've already picked up a press at princess auto so all the pieces are coming together for my rivet press.   Soon I'll be able to install new target faces, and attach assemblies to plastics.  I'll finally be able to install my new plastics!
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 am

I got my HV rebuilt kit from GPE yesterday and installed it last night. It felt like forever but WH2O is finally back in action along with TZ. Total cost of repair was <$20. I got pretty lucky with this repair because whoever worked on it previously ripped out one of the transistors from the HV section on the display board. I'm assuming it was to repair another game that was not working. In any case it always makes me nervous that there may have been something else wrong with the board but that was not the case!

I also did a little work on my trough proximity board. I ordered new chips for it but it's still does the same thing. The LED light stays lit ALL the time. Short of buying a new one the next thing I'm going to do is cut the connectors off and solder the wires directly to the board as it seems to be a recommended thing to do. Apparently the connectors can fail pretty easily.
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 pm

No real progress to report other than I'm playing the crap out of this game and have been reluctant to start the teardown!  I'm currently thinking about converting the GI to LEDs.  I sent cointaker an email asking what they include in their kits but they were a bit reluctant to divulge any information (people have been taking the kit list and buying from their competitors).  I managed to get some info from them though.  They recommend supers in the backbox and for the playfield they use regular frosted.  Is this pretty standard?  Is there any reason you wouldn't use regular frosted in the backbox as well?  They are not as bright as supers I'd imagine but if they are as bright or brighter than regular bulbs they should be good enough no? With the regular frosted should I expect to see strobing?
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Malibu-ss Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 pm

I just use reg frosted in my GI and in the backbox as well.
I do notice some strobing,but it does not bother me.
You can stop by and look at mine if you like anytime
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doozie Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 pm

I have tried cointakers supers in the backbox and they create hot spots and do not look good. Frosted is the only way to go. I even remove some bulbs so the reflection in the playfield glass isn't so bad.
Doozie
Doozie

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I was kindof wondering if the brightness of the backbox would cause more glare... good to know. TZ is definitely one of those games that needs LEDs for the GI at a minimum. I like those pop bumper LEDs for the pops as well. I might wait for LEDs on the inserts though.
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Doozie Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:53 pm

The inserts are the first ones I change. Especially the blue and white ones.
Doozie
Doozie

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:33 am

For my inserts I'm thinking of installing one of these: http://herg.homeip.net/ledocd/ and just using cheap LEDs.

Check out what people are saying here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list

My name is now on the preorder list. I think freezie has his name down as well Very Happy
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Doozie Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:16 pm

You can get the led placement sent to you via email.

Noflix @ Twilight Zone

Free Download of the Noflix-LED placement specification for this Pinball.

You need a Pinballcenter Account for downloading.

Doozie
Doozie

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 pm

I do , and I just got an email to order . But I have to pass ATM .
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Yeah that was fast.. I'm going to pass as well. I was hoping to wait until I had my LEDs so I can see how things looked. He'll make more.... I hope.. Razz
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:55 am

I actually recieved roms with the anti ghost patch . So I will see how they work .
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:38 am

Hey Freezie, how did the anti ghost patch work for you?

Well in other news I finally managed to get trough sensor working (thanks to digikey). Unfortunately I'm not quite done tweaking it. I had borrowed a set of these http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16533-PP from a friend but they didn't work so good. The sensor/choke/inducer itself needed to have the ball pretty much touching it for it to register. I tried using my original sensor board and found that the sensor itself was toast as it always detected a metal ball. After much searching I managed to find a few different inducers/chokes from digikey that mostly match all the specs from the original board. I ordered a few of them and tested them out. I found one that works REALLY well with the aftermarket interface board so I replaced the sensor on my original board. A few adjustments of the pot on the interface board and I'm back in business. Next thing I'm going to try is modding my original board to include a trimmer pot to allow me to do some adjustments. I may yet be able to use all original boards!!

I've also got my rivet press in action. I pressed a few rivets with it. It's surprising how much force is required to roll these rivets over. Only thing left I have to do is figure out a nice way to clamp it to a desk to keep it stable. I think I'm just going to attach a piece of plywood to the bottom of it which will make clamping it to a table when I need it very easy.

This weekend I'm headed to my Dad's place where I will be getting the scoop welded. That is about the last thing I need to take care of before I tear it down and start the shop out (finally). I cant wait to get this thing all cleaned up.
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:42 am

Man ,I haven't had a chance to do anything with my machines for a few months now , I will let you know when I get around to putting it in though .
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:24 am

Started the topside teardown last night.  I didn't have much time but at least it's a start.

TZ Project Img_1710

This is as far as I got.  So far it's the dirtiest game I have ever seen.  Cant wait to see this thing all cleaned up with new rubbers, plastics, pop caps, and star posts Very Happy

Good thing I purchased all new star posts...  here is a picture of one of the damaged ones.  Oh and it looks like I need to do some tumbling as well.

TZ Project Img_1711
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by KeatonX Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 pm

nice, well progress is progress Cool 
KeatonX
KeatonX

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 am

Slowly getting there...  here are a couple pictures so you can get an idea of how dirty this playfield actually is.  

TZ Project Img_8010
TZ Project Img_8011

Next on the list is to get all the posts, pop bumpers, and anything else that sticks up out of the playfield.
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Malibu-ss Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:36 am

wow.....dirty dirty
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content