View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Arkanoid Cabaret Build

Post by ericg on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Thanks Freezie!
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:30 pm

I've been doing some electronic work recently now that my usb encoder came in.

It's a little hard to explain in words so bear with me

The USB encoder is a board that plugs into to computer via usb and the computer recognizes it as a gamepad. You can hook up arcade buttons and joysticks to it and your pc will recognize those button presses etc. You need it if you want a MAME setup, unless you wanna hack a controller or keyboard which is kind of pointless and more work considering the encoders cost like 12 bucks.

The problem is that each button on the encoder needs its own separate ground wire. This is shown below. ( the purple circles are buttons)

You can see that Red is ground wire and blue is active wire. each button needs the ground and active hooked up to it. When the active wire makes contact with the ground it completes the circuit and tells the computer that a button has been pressed. Thats a lot of wires for 6 buttons. I wanted to cut down on the amount of wires because I am planning to hook it up with molex connectors which will make it easy to disconnect and connect the control panel from the cabinet. My plan was to daisy chain the ground wire. Essentially there will only be one ground wire that goes from the board to the button then it connects from button to button. It minimizes the amount of wires coming from the board and will allow a clean molex installation. I show my plan in the diagram below.

You can see there is only one ground wire coming from the board (red) and it is connected to the rest of the buttons. I have tried this out and it does work.

I will be working on installing the molex connectors now. I also did some work on the cab today which i will be posting soon. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by njarmusk on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:56 pm

I used this one when I built my cocktail mame table. https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html
It was a bit more than $12 but man was it ever easy to set up. I'd recommend it if you ever think about making another one. I didn't even need to use any of the computer set up software. It comes pre programmed and that works with a lot of the 'classic' games. Had to do some mapping for some of the N64 and other emulators. Mame worked out of the box though.

Last edited by njarmusk on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added comment)
njarmusk

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:00 pm

yeah I was looking into the IPAC but I'm doing this build on a budget as shown by my use of wood taken from my backlane LOL. I used these china encoders for my 2 player mame cab and they have held up so far. They are also plug and play and I assume the IPAC is too. If they ever stop working or flake out I am definitely going for the IPAC, but for now the cheap encoders work. Thanks for the suggestion though!
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by njarmusk on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:17 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about your back lane found wood either. Haha. The cabinet looks great so far! Can't wait to see the finished project!
njarmusk

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks a lot! I'm hoping to have this completed hopefully by summer or mid spring if I'm lucky
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:37 pm

So yesterday I did some work on the cab.

I screwed on supports for a shelf thats going to hold the monitor in place. I didn't want to decase and figure out a way to mount it so I decided to just lay it on a shelf. I measured the height of the monitor and then I put those measurements in the cab so I knew how far down my shelf should be. then I screwed the supports down at the correct height.

Then I found a piece from an old shelf / desk and cut it to the size I needed and screwed it down the the supports. I made sure it was level and put my monitor down on it.

We now have a monitor in place!! Its good enough for me. I will probably glue brackets to the case  and secure it down to the shelf so it wont move.

Today I wanted to bring out my computer and all my controls etc to the garage to test the viewing angle .. and also play some arkanoid..

The viewing angle is perfect, I was afraid it would be bad looking or ugly because LCD's cannot be viewed flat as the colors get washed out and stuff. CRT's fortunately dont have this problem and it was great looking.

I just put my control panel together using some spare buttons as my buttons didnt arrive yet.
The spinner I'm using is a Turbo Twist 2 from GroovyGameGear.

I still need to address some problems with the cab. Mainly the top board as it isnt cut straight and also needs to be trimmed down anyways.

Heres a photoshoot

ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Malibu-ss on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:30 pm

looking good!!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by prock on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm

wow.. came together pretty quick! nice work!
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:20 am

Thanks a lot guys! But theres still so much that needs to be done.. *sigh*..

Does anyone happen to have a t-molding slot cutting router bit I can borrow/buy??
Worth a shot Lol

Thanks!
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:48 pm

Control panel clamps came in today! Did a little work in the garage today. I found a way to secure the clamps and get them working. Had to add some wood to the underside of the CP and then a little extra 2x4 inside the cab. It's ugly but it works...

I had to change my CP layout a bit too. I was going to place the 1P and 2P buttons to the left side one on top of the other but as you can see I had to change it cause i realized the button wouldnt fit cause it would be blocked by the front panel. I just made a 2P button hole on the other side. Its not a big deal to me.

I am now working on cutting the coin door slot for the front panel. Update will come whenever that gets done.
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Its looking sharp! You do some good work little Eric.
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks a lot Brennan!
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Cut out the coin door today. This project is getting close to being done now that I think about it. In the next week or so I am probably going to move it inside my house and into my room until it gets warm. It's taking up space in the garage and since its cold I can't really do anything else to the cab (sealing, painting, bondo/ woodfilling etc). When it gets warm I'll take it back out and finish up the rest. So it should be finished by summer.

I started by measuring out the coin door inside length and width. Luckily theres a very wide bezel/lip around the coin door so even if its ugly and off the bezel will hide it.
Once I got the measurements I drew them up on the front panel. Then I drilled holes in every corner. The holes are so I can put my jigsaw blade into them and have a place to start cutting and it makes it easier to get around the corners.

Cutting it was very easy with the jigsaw. I actually just picked up the jigsaw off kijiji for 20 bucks. Best money I've ever spent lol. After cutting it out I had to sand and rasp the edges to fit perfectly. Didn't take a pic of the cut out because it's really ugly.. haha but its all hidden by the bezel so it doesn't matter. Heres some photos with the coin door on.

Next things to do is cut out the speaker grille and maybe some other stuff if I can think of anything else to do. We'll see next update lol.
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Did a little more work on the cab at night. The top panel was bothering me because it wasn't cut straight and it stuck out at the back because it wasnt measured right.

I measured it so it wouldn't stick out at the back and cut it with my jigsaw and also went ahead and sanded the edges as straight as I could with my orbital sander. They're pretty straight now.

ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:04 pm

I noticed that the surface of the particle board is really smooth when it is sanded. It made me wonder maybe i wont need to seal the wood or anything. I put a sample of woodgrain vinyl on the wood and looked at it in different lights at different angles and I can't see any bumps or blemishes! I'm thinking it might be okay to just lay vinyl directly on the particle board after a nice sanding / cleaning.

ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Sorry for no updates in a while. Nothing has changed.. I'm just waiting for consistent warm weather. There will be an update soon it seems! I'm excited to start working again.
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Still watching !
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks Freezie!

As filler for not having an update for so long, heres a little preview of another project ive been working on since I just got it functional. I had this little toy as a kid where there was a motor or something inside and it would light up a little scene on a reel and when you turned the steering wheel the car on the screen would move. It was really cool and I ended up breaking it at some point. I found it a while back in my basement and thought it would be cool to give it new life in a more modern way. This is the result so far.

It's still in a prototype ish stage but it works and plays !
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:35 am

That looks like outrun !
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:36 am

Yes it is! I'm running MAME on a Raspberry Pi 2 inside of it!
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:53 pm

wicked !
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:39 pm

Nice weather today, although pretty windy. Got some work done, cut out the tmolding slots, and got the speaker grille cut out.

The bit I used to cut the slots was a slot cutting bit from tmolding.com. It looks like this

It works wonders and cuts like butter.

It took a while to line the bit up to the center of the edge of the wood but after some time I got it down.

I cut the slot out and this is how it looked

Pretty nice, I was nervous that I would screw it up but its really easy.
After that I installed the molding

Looks really slick with it on!

Next up was to cut out the speaker grille, I was gonna do the nintendo cab grille with the slots but i liked the radial circle type look and its easier. I made this template and printed it. Feel free to take it if you need it, and adjust it to your liking

I glued the template to a piece of scrap and drilled out the holes. Once that was done I clamped and screwed the wood scrap template to the cab and used the scrap wood to drill the holes in the cab perfectly.

Easiest way to do this by far, I've seen people measure the holes and stuff but this is way easier.

Heres where I'm at now, bondo patching and painting is next ( I think LOL)

ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Sun May 01, 2016 11:08 pm

Small update.

All week I've been applying bondo and sanding the cab, filling gaps and holes. If you dont know, bondo is like wood filler on steroids. It's very boring work.

I'm hoping to be done this week and paint this week too.
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Sorry for the slow progress!

I bought some woodgrain vinyl for the sides of the cab! I got a pretty good deal on it, I paid about 45 CAD for a 2' x 10' roll which is more than I need for both sides. It was from a fellow collector on the Arcade Collectors World Wide Facebook page. It beats the $65+ I wouldve had to pay on ebay.

So getting that in the mail really made me want to finish up this cabinet. I've started experimenting with sealing up the particle board to be as smooth as possible. I read that putting a light layer of wood filler over the surface would seal up the wood and pores so i tried but it was too thick of a mix and adding water made it better but not by much. I kept researching and someone over at the BYOAC forums said that they skimmed some drywall mud over their side of their particle board cab and it filled all the tiny holes and made a smooth surface. I happen to have a pail of drywall mud laying around so I decided to try it. It is way more liquidy than the wood filler which is great because it allows you to smooth it out quicker and easier.

Once it was dry i just went over it with my orbital with a fine grit pad and the result was a pretty smooth surface!! I might do another coat just for good measure. After this prep is done I want to coat with some primer to try to get a more finished surface so my vinyl will adhere better and not show any blemishes.
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top