Re painting a cabinet!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re painting a cabinet!

Post by Grevier2 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Ok so I got Swanson's old Neo Geo and I wana paint it up real nice. Well a friend is going to paint some designs and pictures on the side. Now the cabinet is already black and I can tell it was painted over whatever was previously there. Can I just apply paint over top of the black paint or will it need to be sanded and repainted?

If I can just paint over it and use some sort of protector that would be good. Should I be using acrylic paint? Is there a bad kind of paint?

As it stands I would just go to dollerama and but some of that cheap paint and then try and apply some clear protective coating over it to keep it for a while.
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Re: Re painting a cabinet!

Post by ericg on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:29 pm

I am pretty sure you can apply paint over top of the existing paint.. There shouldn't be a problem with it. You can clear coat it after to protect the art. Try not to use cheap paint if you want it to last long.. I've had bad experiences with cheap paint LOL
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:56 pm

So clear coat is like a spray I can just buy? Or something I have to brush on? I wana do this this Saturday hopefully. I figure if I clear coat it then hopefully the cheap paint will last.

Is there any pros cons for acrylic vs oil based paint?
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:58 pm

Clear coat comes in a spray or liquid that you can brush on. The spray is easier and faster.

Not sure about the acrylic vs oil based though. Google searches might shed some light on it
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Ok so did a bit of searching and it seems like acrylic is better for what I wana do. Ill leave it up to the person doing it though I guess.
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by Yellowghost on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:22 pm

Try duplicolor acrylic clear in the black can. Don't fool around with brushes. Test on a non-visible piece first.

Yellowghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Perfect that's exactly what im gonna get then. Ill upload pics of the before and after.
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top