Winnipeg Pinball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

4 posters

Go down

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" Empty "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

Post by njarmusk Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I apologize in advance, this may be in the wrong forum. It's kind of a rant. More of a searching for a project discussion than an actual ongoing project or mod. Sorry everyone.

Joker seems to have said it best way back in '89 when I wasn't even a teenager and buying a pinball machine was the last thing on my mind.  I'm left thinking this now, as I do my best to scour all the sources that I know of (kijiji, ebay, facebook, pinside and probably a few others I stumble across) to find a decent priced player quality machine that I can clean up, and money permitting do a full restoration on.  I know pinball in general seems to be undergoing a huge resurgence but there has to be machines out there that can be bought for less than $3K.  I got my first and so far only machine last Father's Day.  A Monopoly game that had been routed but it all worked.  I love it.  There were some issues but after replacing some parts, almost completely stripping the playfield to clean it all down, cleaning and polishing all the ramps and installing a Cointaker LED kit I now have what I would consider a nice looking, fully operational machine that I love to play daily and let my family play whenever they're over, despite the few wear spots and a couple cracked plastics.  Don't get me wrong...... if I had the $650 USD to pick up the NOS replacement playfield I saw on ebay I would love to swap it out, but for what I probably overpaid for the machine in the condition it was in when I got it, I'm happy with what I've made it.
Now for better or worse, I'm hooked.  And as much as my wife says we don't have the room I find myself continuously searching for another, more reasonably priced, player quality machine, and none seem to exist.  So who better to ask than the likes of all the people in this awesome forum that have collections of machines that I'm jealous of, for places that I might be able to find something for less than $3000.  I mean I get that they're harder and harder to come by, but surely there must be DMD machines out there that have already made their operator thousands of dollars that can be scooped up by someone like me?  Or maybe not.... Maybe I should have stopped playing with my damn toys when I was 11 and started saving to buy whatever machines I could find then.  I mean I remember playing PinBot at Arnold's on Regent.  HAHA

Last edited by njarmusk on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Topic explanation)
njarmusk
njarmusk

Back to top Go down

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" Empty Re: "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

Post by prock Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:14 pm

I feel your pain.  I went through exactly what you are talking about a few years back (2012).  Ultimately I have since run out of money because I purchased a new house and my job changed so I was making less.   I was lucky at the time because the Canadian dollar was at par with the US dollar and there were actually a lot of descent machines up for sale in Manitoba (within driving distance) and people were bringing them in from the States a lot.  I was also able to purchase one (my TZ) from overseas because of the strength of the CAD.  I find now that most of these machines were snapped up and are now staying in peoples basements and no new machines are making their way into MB... party because of the dollar I would imagine.  I see a Funhouse goes for about $3000 in the States (yes I still keep an eye on prices) which hasn't changed much in the past few years that I've been watching.  In Canada back in 2012 that same Funhouse would be $3000...  what is the value now?  The answer of course is whatever someone is willing to pay but I'd imagine to a person selling the machine it's more in the >$4000 range.  It would have been much better for you and me both to get into the hobby more like 10 years ago...   I'm pretty sure we would have full basements Very Happy
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" Empty Re: "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

Post by njarmusk Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Dammit!! I just snapped the policeman drop target on my Monopoly machine! I guess I still have a project machine after all! Haha.
I would love to find a half decent data east Simpsons or BTTF. Only ever seen one BTTF for sale and it was in London ON and the guy never replied to my emails. Oh well. Keep watching I guess.
Now off to Ebay to look for a new drop target. Haha.
njarmusk
njarmusk

Back to top Go down

Post by Malibu-ss Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:00 pm

there are very few machines left in Winnipeg for sale at a decent price,or not all worn out.Especially if you want DMD games
Before the dollar sunk,it was worth while bringing games in from the USA,not anymore.
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Back 3years ago I sniped a few from you peg guys and brought them back to sask . Malibu made up for that somewhat buy taking one of mine . Back then I also brought two up from the USA . Can't do that anymore Sad
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum