Winnipeg Pinball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build

+4
Malibu-ss
prock
Zog
Grevier2
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Arkanoid Cabaret Build Empty Arkanoid Cabaret Build

Post by ericg Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:27 am

Hi everyone! So I have built a MAME cab a couple months ago. Has been treating me well but I recently have been wanting to play arkanoid, and that's not easy without a spinner. I decided due to limited room I would just build a cabaret (mini cab). I threw a rough sketch into Sketchup and this is what I got. It is loosely based on a DK Cabaret, but since I could not find any plans or dimensions for one I just made my own LOL. I will be changing the angles of stuff slightly as I go. Will not be sticking to the plans strictly just here and there as a guideline. Will be updating as soon as I start it, which will hopefully be tomorrow. Let me know your thoughts on my plans so far. Thanks

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 78c6c1e3b4

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 7edfbbd595
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Arkanoid Cabaret Build Empty Re: Arkanoid Cabaret Build

Post by Grevier2 Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Did you start it? Now that this sub forum is open Yellowghost can show us that Q*bert machine! Looked fugly but interesting.
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Very weird that you asked that now because I just got in my garage and I'm prepping to draw the plans on the board LOL. That machine he showed looked like those little arcade toys from the 80's if I recall correctly
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:25 pm

I see. lol. I don't really remember what the heck it was just that it was beat up.
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:37 pm

UPDATE:
I drew my plans on my board (4 x 8 ' particle board). I found the board in my backlane. My neighbour moved and left a bunch of junk outside so I scored a nice board and didn't have to pay anything or buy from home depot, so that was nice.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 0d1d1fd171

After that I went straight outside and started cutting the shape out of my board. Went very quick and easy because its all straight lines. The cut out shape looks great and just needs some sanding on the edges to make them all straight which wont take long. It stands at approximately 4 feet and 6 and a half inches high.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 6f4282bd53

Next step is to sand the edges and make the side perfect, then lay it on my other piece of particle board and trace it. Then I can cut the shape out roughly, lay the perfect piece on the rough piece and flush trim the side with my router so they end up identical. Won't be working today anymore so I will probably update this in the next day or 2!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:54 pm

UPDATE:

So I had some time to go and work on this cab today. As you can tell I don't do a lot of work at once. I like to take it slow and have a lot of time to think things over to make less mistakes and also I don't want this project to be done fast. I want it to last a little longer and be more of a winter project.

First thing I did was screw the cut out "good copy" board onto a piece of board and screwed it on very tightly. After that I took my saw and made rough cuts around the good copy board as seen below

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 30deb1715b

It doesnt have to be close at all just remove the bulk of the wood around it. After that I took my router and my flush trim bit and went to town on the board. What the flush trim bit does is it makes the top "good copy" board act as a template and cuts the bottom board identical to the top. So you only have to make one side perfect then you can just copy it on to the other board. One of the most useful things when building a cab.
Heres a pic of the flush trim bit so you can really understand.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 60b937e441

After I got it all routed. The bottom board was now identical to the top.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 965fff8425

I'm happy with the results and I would reccomend a router to anyone building a cab.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build F6cdf0fbd0

Now I need to start screwing on supports on the sides for the front boards etc. to attach to. Which will need some more thinking/time. Next update will probably this week or next week.
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Super detailed! Love it! I def wana build from scratch eventually.
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks Brennan! Just want to show every step of the build because when I was learning there was no straight guide that I could follow. There were some but they always left out little details so I want to make a build that has all the details of every step. Building from scratch is not as hard as it seems. If you ever do I am here to help!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:48 pm

If I ever do I think I will get you to come give me a hand. It would be me and Mike building it at his house. Probably not till spring though.
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Sounds good! Let me know if you decide to!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:36 pm

It's been awhile.. Winter came and makes me lazy LOL. But I finally got off my ass today and did some more work. Will be posting an update later tonight!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:50 pm

UPDATE: So I finally got back to work. The first couple pics of progress were before winter as you can tell. I didn't post them at the time because I didn't feel like it was that much of an update lol.

What I did here is start making lines to guide where to put our support blocks. I chose to use a hockey stick for my straight edge. It's important to have an object that is a straight edge and not too wide so you can use it as a guide because the length from the edge of the side to the line has to be uniform all the way around.. its kind of hard to explain but pics should show it better.

Line up the hockey stick flush against the edge and draw a line.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build Ac01cf68ad

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 3a87a57c20

Arkanoid Cabaret Build D12b07972b

You can see in the last pic the bottom has a bigger gap. I made it that way because I am compensating for wheels that I am going to install on the bottom.

Next thing I did was cut 2x4s into small sections to use for our supports. Don't mind the uneven cuts.. It doesnt affect anything as I made the straight edges of the 2x4 face out so no harm in uneven cuts  Very Happy

After I had my supports made I just lined em up to the line I made earlier, clamped em down and screwed em in.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 6e19545117

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 9756b06386

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 2a2510e20f

After that's done you do it to the other side exactly the same. It's obviously important they match identical so when you assemble all the supports connect the same way and you end up with a square product that is stable.

Then I cut out all my pieces that I needed which were: Front bottom panel, Top Back Panel, and of course the bottom base. (Control panel will be made later)

Then I started lining them up.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 3ad9ab9c6b

Arkanoid Cabaret Build Dff7b4493f

Then I screwed the base and the front bottom panel to the side and made it stand! IT'S ALIVE! not really Neutral

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 9f602d8b17

That's where I'm at right now. Got quite a bit done. Now I need to screw the other side on to this one and screw on the top back panel and the shell will be basically done.. I will be making the control panel on the side.

Next week or so should see an update. (Hopefully...)

Thanks for watching! haha

Last edited by ericg on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zog Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:21 am

Nice to see someone still using a wooden hockey stick! Very Happy
Zog
Zog

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:55 am

Project is looking pretty good! How do you plan on finishing it? That particle board will be difficult to get a smooth finish I'd imagine.
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks prock! Thats a good question.. LOL. I was thinking of painting it and sanding over and over and then possibly putting a couple coats of clear over it.. I'm not sure if that would give me a smooth enough surface to lay vinyl on.. It should work.. Some old arcade cabs back in the day did use particle board for their cabs so they managed it somehow.. haha. I will probably start experimenting painting and stuff on scraps soon to see if I can get a smooth surface
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:15 pm

You'll probably end up with a rough surface but I think you could get it smooth by putting some filler/sealer on it first and getting that smooth. looking forward to seeing the final product.
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:38 pm

good idea! I'll be experimenting this week so that will probably be in my next update. thanks!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Been doing some tests and I decided I am going to change something that I had in my original plans. If you look at the control panel and bezel in my original sketchup, they are at an angle. I decided I am going to just put them flat like a 90 degree angle, kind of like the DK cabaret. Arkanoid Cabaret Build DSC01676

Its just more comfortable for your wrists that way
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:03 am

Started to lay out my control panel on photoshop today. Just wanted to make the art for the overlay and also just map out buttons and such. There is no arkanoid control panel artwork out there for free.. I found one site that wanted a donation of 10 bucks to download it but I don't really feel like paying for that. I decided to get some low res art and try to vectorize it in Adobe Illustrator. That would essentially make the highest quality art for the control panel. The main thing I had to vectorize was the "ROMSTAR" text spread around the control panel.

This was the ROMSTAR text before (Low Res off google)

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 93693c42df

This was after I recreated it in Vector form in illustrator

Arkanoid Cabaret Build D946af4c15

Real clean lines!

Found some other vector art of the instruction cards and whatnot and began to lay out my panel on photoshop.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build De9306ba57

If the image is cutting off on the side click here to see the whole image
http://puu.sh/mrsKa/de9306ba57.jpg

Pretty good so far!

That's all I did so far. The art is close to being done.
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Malibu-ss Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:31 am

that looks good!
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks Malibu!
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by harvardman Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:24 pm

nice project ... will looking in on this one

harvardman

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 am

Thank you harvardman! I'll try not to disappoint! Lol.

I have been screwing around photoshop still.. and I also did a revamp of the original sketchup model. I made it to more or less show the look that I'm going for now, with the flat angle control panel etc. Also added graphics onto the control panel model.

Here's a few pics

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 5f1f492da9
Arkanoid Cabaret Build Ceb058a22c
Arkanoid Cabaret Build 0962b43cb5
Arkanoid Cabaret Build 5f3c1dcfab
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by ericg Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Got into to garage and did some work today.

I got around to securing the top of the cabinet on. It was a tricky thing because I couldn't use 2x4 supports on this part as it would be visible.

What I did was I got 1 inch brackets from home depot and I screwed them onto my board, then I put the board up to where I wanted it and screwed the bracket into the cabinet sides.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build E41e3aa319

Arkanoid Cabaret Build F488196f01

Arkanoid Cabaret Build B4feb122b8

But thats still ugly.

So I then put screws going in from the outside into the top board, which held it all together and i removed the brackets as they weren't needed anymore.

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 9e2a25d1cc

Arkanoid Cabaret Build 06b3c96576

Its pretty nice so far. Right now I'm waiting on a lot of parts that I bought online. Once they come in I will continue probably. I might do some other stuff if it comes up like wood filling and small stuff but thats it for now.
ericg
ericg

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezie Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Looking great !
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content