Winnipeg Pinball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flipper Rebuild - Newbie

3 posters

Go down

Flipper Rebuild - Newbie Empty Flipper Rebuild - Newbie

Post by Grevier2 Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Hey guys its my first time doing a flipper rebuild. Instead of harassing Jeff to come do it I figure I better learn to do it myself.

Its the upper flipper on my demolition man. My understanding is there is no eos switch. Which means this should be a fairly easy first rebuild for me. However im finding any videos on youtube to be too convoluted and find they are not explaining to me well the process. I did find a site with pictures I found to be a bit easier to understand.

Im wondering if you guys know of any video I can watch online that isn't overly long winded and convoluted and can accurately explain what I need to do.

This is the site I like best so far:

http://www.performancepinball.com/rebuilding-flippers.html

Also any tip/advice would be epic.

Thanks!
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Flipper Rebuild - Newbie Empty Re: Flipper Rebuild - Newbie

Post by Malibu-ss Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:31 pm

That site you listed has all the info...pics even.Not hard,plus you have the other 2 flippers to look at if you get stuck
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Not hard for you guys! But im gonna show you guys a new way to destroy a pin you never thought possible.

Jk I should be fine. That site did seem the best. I feel like there should be a video on youtube that shows you in 5 mins. I think it would be easier seeing it done. But most are all 2 part videos. These pics and text will have to do.

Thanks!
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:27 pm

It is done! It took me waaaaay too long. Id say about 2 hours. Ya I know that's probably like 6-8x longer then it should have. But so many things happened that slowed me down. Id always have the wrong tool or one allan key that worked for one part was too big for the other and of course I have a complete set of allan keys with an exception if the one I needed and had to find it and of course the flipper DID have an eos switch and I wasn't prepared for that had to find my soldering iron and do that and well all said and done it works amazing.

Side not those colour changing leds on pinball life for 1.75 ARE GARBAGE! They are very dim and they don't even have much for colour going for them. I used one in the retina scan light and it doesn't even illuminate the entire space. the edges are very dark.

I will be getting new colour changers and will never get these ones again. It makes me lose hope for the bag of 36 cent leds I got for monte carlo. lesson learned maybe don't always go with the cheapest option.
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by Malibu-ss Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:55 pm

congrats on getting it done.That is how you learn.
As for the LEDS....I have some of those color changers from PBL and they work excellent......weird
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Well I had a white Led in the light before and it was bright. The retina scan is a bigger rectangle I know and maybe that's part of it. is it possible I got a "dim" led? I just put the first one in and was done with it.

Also I plan on doing the monte carlo today. Are the 36 cent leds brighter or as bright as a standard bulb? I think if I replace all the lights with these leds and they are dimmer im gonna scream loud enough for my neighbors to hear. I am going to eventually need some help with that one I have two issues that happen. 1. the 10 million point shot has never worked. im ok with that cuz it would make the score board who got the most 10 mil point shots. the other is worse. The game will steal balls from me. Like I will be playing and everything is all fine and then boom mid ball it serves a new ball and puts me on the next ball. If I had to guess I think sometimes when a ball drains its not "setting" right and then mid ball it falls into its resting spot then registering a ball drain? But I have no idea.

And yes it was a learning experience! My buddy says his grandpa has a pinball machine in his basement that hasn't worked for years as a flipper is out. Hes gonna ask them if I can fix it up for them. Apparently its a Michael Jackson pinball which cant be right as it looks like no such pin exists. my buddys a layman so the best I was able to get from him is it sounds like its an older ss pin from the 80s.
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by 1979wade Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:15 pm

I think your issue will be with an opto in your trough. I would start by cleaning them and hopefully that solves your problem.

1979wade

Back to top Go down

Post by Grevier2 Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks Wade!

I actually did all my LED work yesterday on monte carlo. Looks AMAZING now. a huge difference and the colour changers seem brighter in monte carlo. I think the dim led was mainly cuz of the larger sized filter.

I have a few issues with monte carlo and pictures and im going to make a post on Monday with pictures.

Basically I want the #10 light to work and the ball trough. I may google how to clean it as id have no idea.

The light looks fine. but I notice some lights have 2 wires some have 1. this particular one has 1. but some with 1 seem to work? so im confused. when I hold the wire with my hands it makes a super weak and dim connection. so I stripped it and re soldered with literally no change. Like if I hold it ill get the weak connection.

Is it possible the socket is causing this? Perhaps I need to change the socket?
Grevier2
Grevier2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down