Winnipeg Pinball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Data East Boot Up Problem

3 posters

Go down

Data East Boot Up Problem Empty Data East Boot Up Problem

Post by monsterbash Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Just took my WWF Royal Rumble out of storage to restore it and put it in my house. Doesn't boot up now (don't worry, I removed the batteries before storing it and it booted up fine at that point).

Symptoms: The DMD is now dead and the user can't start a game. I tried a good DMD out of my Lethal Weapon game and it didn't work either, so its not a display or DMD board issue. Checked the voltage to the DMD board and it is fine. When watching the bootup, the blanking LED does not light. I read that this could be a bad EPROM (specifically 5B or 5C if the PIA LED stays on and the blanking LED never comes on).

Has anyone ever had an EPROM fail?

monsterbash

Back to top Go down

Data East Boot Up Problem Empty Re: Data East Boot Up Problem

Post by Malibu-ss Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:39 pm

I have never really had any issues like that with any of my Data East games,sorry
Malibu-ss
Malibu-ss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by prock Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 am

The display on my checkpoint didn't work until I replaced the display eeprom however I don't think this is the same issue as I could start and play a game without the display.  In your case it seems MPU related.   According to pinwiki if there was an issue with one of your eeproms (5B or 5C) the PIA light would flash 2 or 3 times on bootup.  If the PIA light stays on it could be a PIA light or any number of other things (unfortunately pinwiki doesn't tell us what the other things might be).

First thing I would try (with the game off) is to re-seat all connectors and see if that helps.  Might also be worth making sure the MPU is grounded properly (make sure all screws holding the MPU in are tight but not too tight cause you'll strip them).
prock
prock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down